So, you’ve got a load of content you need created, and just don’t have the time to do it on your own. Where do you turn to with so many options available at your fingertips?! You can choose freelance writers, agencies, or employees. Here’s a few advantages and disadvantages to help you make this decision.
Freelance Writer Advantages
Freelance writers typically offer a fast tur-around time. Most times they can nail an article for you in less than 24 hours depending on their current workload. Most have set rates whether they charge per word, per project, or per hour. Consider this option if:
- You have a small project such as a couple of press releases or sales letters or a few web copy pages
- You have a limited budget
- You have guidelines and samples to provide for their reference
- You know what you want
- You don’t have a variety of work to be done
- You have a well-understood market
Now, on the opposite side of the spectrum you may want to hire a writer on staff if:
- You have a pretty hefty budget or can afford to pay a salary to a writer
- Your deadlines are 24 hours or less on a given project
- Your industry is more complex, and it’ll take longer than a day or two to teach someone
- You don’t have a variety of work to be done, but there is a large volume of work you need done such as case studies, press releases, web copy, legal briefs, etc
Writers are similar to other professionals, except they may have a better understanding of what your needs are and of the industry. You can find a writer with a background in your industry to help get the job done.
Make sure they understand your particular business. Having an effective business writer who has a knack for the industry can relate to the reader a lot better than someone doing the work blindly with no experience.
Choosing Writer Agencies
Somewhere between the two is the option to hire a writing agency. These companies hire a variety of different freelance writers and editors. They train them to the standards of the agency, and manage them on client projects. They give them steady work that fits their skill level.
Writers with agencies typically have access to other resources such as training materials and educational materials. They are also available at a cheaper rate than hiring a freelance writer. However, keep in mind they are from all over the world. They may not offer the highest quality of work that you might be looking for.
Hire agency writers if:
- You have more work than one writer can tackle
- You have several copywriting content pieces that need to be done
- You don’t want to oversee the writer directly
- You aren’t looking to train the writer to your industry
- You want to have a team of writers for long-term use
These tips should help you decide what you should consider when looking into your content needs. You want writing that’s going to get results, so make sure you choose the best option for you.